Celebrate this Christmas Safely
Your Houston Chiropractor, Dr. Gregory Johnson, is blessed to have had such a memorable year. We are surely looking forward to see what 2015 brings us and our patients. As the holiday season begins in full swing, we want to provide a few tips for a safe Christmas and New Year’s so that you can end your year on a healthy note.
- Carrying Christmas Trees. When carrying a Christmas tree, lift with your legs and knees. Avoid lifting with your back which can lead to chronic lower back problems. If a tree is too heavy for one person, be sure to ask for help. Never carry more than what you are capable of, it can possibly damage your spine.
- Don’t Sit Too Long. While sitting during holiday gatherings, don’t forget to get up and move your back and legs. Sitting down for long periods of time can strain your neck and can possibly cause herniated discs. Sit with a proper posture to avoid straining your body.
- Stretch. Stretching can help improve your body’s flexibility and movement. Stretching encourages blood circulation to your body reducing the chances of suffering from chronic pain. Try to stretch when you get a moment of free time in between holiday parties or after waking up.
- Engage Your Family. Ask your family to join you in your stretching exercises or when going on a short walk to avoid sitting too long. This will encourage them to reflect on their choices and how it’s possibly affecting their spine and overall body.
- Eat Healthy. Foods rich in calcium such as yogurt, milk and cheese should be present at the dinner table to promote healthy bone structure and growth. For those lactose intolerant, vegetables such as spinach should be incorporated for you calcium needs.
With these simple tips from the Your Houston Chiropractor, Dr. Gregory Johnson, and his team and family wish everyone a healthy, happy chiropractic Christmas and New Year.